Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Whoa!

I found out this weekend that our ultimate frisbee games were picking up again starting last week. I was invited to go play tonight at 6, but turned it down because I wanted to get a bike ride in. Today was my only real day off in the evening, and it's also supposed to be the only nice day all week. I took my bike over to the river path and started out with about a 20 minute spin to warm up. Once I got warm, I started doing some intervals that Bicycling Magazine recommended for somebody who is training for a century ride (me). It was 3 eight minute intervals, each followed up by a six minute recovery. During the interval, you were to be doing about 90-95rpm and a 7-8/10 effort. After the first 6 minutes in each interval, I was dying, but I kept at it and figured, if I'm exhausted, my 7-8/10 effort is still the same even if I'm slowing down... because my current 10 is maybe my former 8.

Anyway, I went the same distance I normally do with my goal being to cut some time off and average over 15mph. On the way home, I saw a guy wearing a bright yellow jersey way ahead of me on the path. I decided, I've got about 3.5 miles left before I'm finished. I'm going to catch that guy. I got myself up to about 21-22mph and rode until I got close to him, then I kicked it into high gear because I could see my turn off approaching. I passed him, and then slowed down because my legs were shot. We talked for about 200 yards and then I pulled off. Great ride.

Here are my stats:
Time: 1:35:46
Distance: 25.53 miles
Avg Speed: 16.0mph
Max Speed: 24.5mph

No comments:

Post a Comment