Saturday, May 9, 2009

Quad County

Today, I rode in the Quad County Metric Ride with my buddy. It started off a little rough because we hadn't warmed up and the first five miles was full of some nasty hills. It got better, though. I worked on developing my pedaling and climbing skills. With the new fit, I felt much better in the saddle, although I still have some shoulder soreness. I'm pretty sure I'll have to strengthen my core to avoid putting so much pressure on my arms. Overall, the ride went well. The second half was mostly down hill, so it was easy and allowed us to go fast... which I like. I topped out at 37.2mph! I think that's the fastest I've ever gone.

In order to follow the bike route, we had to follow small arrows that were painted on the road. We didn't have any trouble for the most part, we even had a lot of time where we didn't see other riders. Unfortunately, at the end, we made a turn off the course because it didn't look like we could go straight, and there was no arrow to be seen. Little did we know, that we had to cross the street to find the arrow that told us to go straight. We rode a few miles the wrong way before turning around. Oh well. It's not the first time we've done that together.

The rest stops were really good. I got to try some Clif Bar Gel Blocks which taste awesome, but I'm not sure if they helped much with the energy levels. I had a few and then felt like I was going to bonk a few more miles down the road on a climb; my quad started to twitch. When we rolled into the start/stop we went over to get some more water and have the free lunch, pasta salad and cheese burgers. yum.

Here are our totals:
Time: 3hrs 21mins
Distance: 49.19
Average Speed: 14.6mph
Max Speed: 37.2mph

No comments:

Post a Comment